Exploring Careers in Health and Human Services
May 28-30, 2014 - Southeast Job Link, Yankton
June 2-6, 2014 - Southeast Job Link, Yankton
Exploring Careers in Health and Human Services is an 8-day program that gives High School Students the opportunity to explore occupations in Health and Human Services – ranging from Counseling, the Courts and Law Enforcement, Abuse Services, Emergency Medical, Grief services and many more professions. This course is eligible for ½ HS Credit (in both Yankton and Bon Homme); and new this year is eligible for 1 College Credit through Mt. Marty College (for those who meet the guidelines).
- In-Class presentations from area professionals
- Tours of area facilities and on-site learning
- Opportunity to attend the Mental Wellness Conference (with area professionals)
- Introduces students to careers in health and human services
For more information, contact Southeast Job Link at 605-668-3480
Certified Nursing Institute
June 2-13, 2014 - Yankton
July 7-18, 2014 - Mitchell
The Certified Nursing Assistant Institute is a 10-day program that meets the South Dakota Board of Nursing requirements for Certified Nursing Assistants. The Institute is a great opportunity to enter the health field in a short time. Many CNAs go on to other professional health careers. Applicants must be 16 to 19 years old. This is a commuter/day camp.
- Provides the required 75-hour CNA training, including the testing
- Prepares student in the art of “human touch” care
- Prepares the student for the transition into the role of a professional health care worker
- Introduces students to health care careers
For more information, contact the Yankton Rural Area Health Education Center at 605-655-1400 or visit: http://yanktonruralahec.org/?page_id=333.
Health Care Careers Camps
June 15-20, 2014 - University of South Dakota
The USD Health Care Careers Camp will include:
- Interaction with health care professionals
- Medical demonstrations
- Field trips to area medical facilities
- Group activities and discussions
Click for Health Care Careers Camps Information.
July 8-11, 2014 - South Dakota State University
If you’re interested in a career that will give you the chance to help others, consider working in a health-related field. You can explore the array of opportunities available in this field at SDSU’s Health Professions Career Camp. Students will be able to interact with health care professionals and participate in a variety of activities, such as:
- Speaking Events
- Field trips to health care facilities
- Hands-on demonstrations including nursing, pharmacy, nutrition, athletic training, exercise science, biology, medical lab science, chiropractic care, cadaver lab, and more
Click for Health Camp Information.
NESD Scrubs Camp
October 29, 2014 - 9:00 am to 2:00 pm - Lake Area Tech
Designed to increase awareness, interest and understanding of health careers. Students will experience first-hand, the challenges, opportunities and rewards of health careers through hands-on activities and discussions. Open to students in grades 9 – 12.
Click for It's Your World Camp Information.
Various Dates - Various Locations
- Scrubs Camps are one day, hands-on opportunities for high school students.
- Scrubs Camps are designed to increase awareness, interest, and understanding of health careers available in South Dakota through creative and interactive activities.
- Scrubs Camps will provide an opportunity for students to experience first-hand, the challenges, opportunities, and rewards of health careers. All while learning about the skills and education that are required to become a health professional.
Click for Scrubs Camp Information.