Strengthening FamiliesStrengthening families by designating funds for foster parent training, supporting family reunification, and improving services for child maltreatment victims.
Supporting Foster Families
- This year, Governor Noem has worked to highlight the need for more foster families, and South Dakotans have risen to the challenge.
- Governor Noem’s budget designates $129,420 in general funds for additional foster parent training.
- These funds will be used to provide more resources that allow interested individuals to complete the required training classes and home studies.
Supporting Family Reunification
- Nearly one in 10 South Dakota children have had a parent incarcerated at some point in their childhood.
- Governor Noem’s budget includes $118,366 to create a new position in state government that will help prepare female offenders to return to their families and communities after completing their sentence.
- The position will utilize evidence-based case management proven to reduce the likelihood female offenders will recidivate.
Improving Services for Child Maltreatment Victims
- The success of the next generation is stunted when children are raised in unsafe homes.
- Governor Noem’s budget allocates $100,964 for comprehensive child maltreatment victim services.
- Through this allocation, the State will add a position dedicated to ensuring child safety, leading maltreatment investigations, and facilitating comprehensive services for child maltreatment victims across South Dakota.